Are you one of those who suffer from breathing issues?
Worry no more, for Nebulizer Home Therapy can tackle it effectively and bring it under control.
Nebulizer home therapy involves usage of a machine called ‘Nebulizer’ for converting a liquid medication to a breathable mist. This will make it easy to inhale it in a way the body can absorb effectively.
Aside from breathing issues, nebulizer home therapy can also be taken, albeit after securing doctor’s go-ahead, for respiratory issues like acute bronchitis, asthma, cystic fibrosis, emphysema, and persistent obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD),
HOW IT SHOULD BE USED?
Nebulizer home therapy is easy and effective to handle and use. All that needs to be done is to follow the below guidelines which will make it easy to execute the procedure.
- Get familiar with the nebulizer, how it works and how it must be handled and used.
- Wash your hands with clean soap and water. Then dry them with a clean towel completely.
- Ensure that the compressor is placed on a sturdy surface. This will help support its weight.
- Plug the compressor cord into a secured grounded outlet (three-pronged category).
- Take and check the correct measurement of the medicine to be taken. Then place your medication in the nebulizer cup. Then attach the top portion of the nebulizer cup and connect the face mask or mouthpiece to the cup. If using the facemask, it must fit in properly and seal the face properly. Similarly, if using the mouthpiece place it between your teeth and then seal your lips.
- Connect the tubing to the compressor and nebulizer. Then turn on the compressor with the on/off switch; and once it’s turned on, you can see a light mist.
- Make sure you are sitting on a comfortable chair. Then try to breathe normally through your mouth; and if possible, try to take a slow deep breath and hold it for two to three seconds before breathing out, after every fifth breath. This will allow the medication to settle well inside your airways.
- Carry on with the treatment until the medication is settled well into the airways and is gone. This will take about five to fifteen minutes. All through make sure to keep the medicine container/cup upright (this may take a few minutes). Also, make sure to use all the medication unless you are otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- Switch off the compressor. Then cleanse your hands with warm water and dry them later with a clean towel.
- Cleanse the device as well as the medicine cup and ctainer properly, once the whole process is over.
NOTE: Make sure to ON the power and check if the nebulizer device is dispensing the medication in the form of a mist.
In case, you feel hazy and uneasy during the medication process, then slow down your breathing or take rest for a brief period of time. Certain medicines can make you feel shaky or jittery. If these symptoms continue to persist, then get in touch with your doctor immediately.
WHAT PRECAUTIONS MUST BE TAKEN?
Nebulizer must be handled and used with care. To stay on the safe side, make sure to
- Use a facemask that fits you properly and is sealed tightly. This will allow you to breathe in the mist. Also, make sure to avoid taking medication the wrong way for this will release small amounts of medication in the air which can be accidently breathed in by people around you; or when the facemask is slipping for this will irritate your eyes. IN CASE, you are using a mouthpiece, make sure to seal your lips tightly around it and then breathe through your mouth and not through the nose. In either case, ensure that you are using the nebulizer in a well-ventilated room, with the doors and windows opened.
- Place the nebulizer on a clean, flat table surface. Refrain from using it on a carpet or a rug or fibre material which otherwise can get drawn into the nebulizer during usage.
- Sit straight in a comfortable chair. This will allow you to breathe in a normal and relaxed manner; and ensure that the whole process takes between 10 to 15 minutes.
- Ensure that the nebulizer machine does not come into contact with water or any kind of liquid when it’s connected to the mains electricity.
- Never use or store your nebulizer in a room that is filled with lots of dust or is very smoky. In addition, keep away nebulizer and all of its parts including tubing from children and pets.
- Never try to modify the nebulizer on own and also, never cover the air intake grills on the nebulizer machine.
- Change the filter contained in the nebulizer machine as specified in the instructions contained in the booklet that comes with the nebulizer machine. Aside from this, follow the instructions on how to change it.
After usage, wash the nebulizer cup, mask, or mouthpiece in warm, soapy water, using a mild detergent. Then rinse them thoroughly and allow them to dry completely. Keep them in a clean and hygienic place, free from dust.
Also, remember that nebulizer home therapy must be
- Used in a well-lighted area. Towards this end, select a place that is comfortable enough for you to take the treatment without being interrupted in any way. Then sit straight back comfortably in the chair during the whole process of the treatment.
- Disinfected once in a week or even more frequently as directed by the manufacturer. Once it is washed thoroughly, it must be disinfected as they can get contaminated by infections in your airways and bacteria present in the environment. Note that any fluid present in the nebulizer can quickly grow into bacteria.
HOW IT BENEFITS?
- Can be taken comfortably at home. However, it should be taken only under the guidance and approval of the doctor who prescribe it for a host of health issues.
- Delivers direct medication that goes straight into the appropriate areas of the respiratory tracts, upper or lower. This ensures the desired effect instantly.
- Offers immediate relief from respiratory problems in a quick and effective way. This benefits those who have difficulty breathing; or suffer from sudden asthma or bronchitis attack or COPD flare-ups, and preventing them from escalating into bigger health issues. It especially works faster with smaller doses than with pills or shots, eventually producing better results.
- Ensures diseases like asthma or bronchitis symptoms; COPD; etc, can be handled and taken care of at home without having to rush to a doctor and getting treated. Being lightweight, compact, and portable, it can be carried around and used in a specific place with ease.
- Produces lesser side-effects when compared to oral medications. The therapy can be used without concerns for years and less fears of side-effects unlike steroids which if taken for long leads to side-effects like bone loss, high blood pressure, high blood glucose, weight gain, and exposure to infections
- Are extremely convenient and easy to handle and use thanks to its light weight and flexible portability. Aside from this, nebulizer home therapy come in smaller sizes which makes them easy to fit into the palm or carry in the pocket, take anywhere, set-up, and unpack.
- Does not require lots of time for procedure preparation nor require the patient to coordinate breathing process with the machine, unlike inhalers. The therapy can be performed quickly wherever you want to undergo it. This will ensure that you can proceed to your office or school quickly as well.
Finally, nebulizer home therapy is ideal for children, adults, and old people. They can not only take their medication easily without issues but also can breathe easier after the therapy session.
Before opting for nebulizer home therapy, consult your doctor and take only those medications as has been prescribed; and the therapy as per directions issued.
Finally, make sure to use a nebulizer that will help you to breathe easy in the comfort and safety of your home.